Sant Joan de Boí
Chronology
- 11th: First period of construction
- 12th: Remodelling of the bell tower
- 16th - 11th centuries: Several remodelling works affecting the original structure
- 1920 / 1923: First extraction of paintings
- 1976 / 1978: Second extraction of paintings and restoration
- 1977 / 1998: Restoration and copy of the paintings
Visits: This church is open to the public. Check opening hours and guided visits at the Centre of Romanesque art of Boí Valley.
This church has a basilical floor, three naves separated by columns.
The chevet is composed of three apses: the central one, which was modified, and two semi-circular ones, on the sides.
The square bell tower was attached to the south façade. Its highest level was modified in a later construction phase.
The original mural paintings were extracted between 1919 and 1923. Copies of the internal and external mural paintings have been made recently.
Among the paintings, it is worth mentioning the Bestiary, the Stoning of Saint Stephen and the scene with the musicians and jugglers.